Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cookies: Coffee, Orange, and Barley

OK so I've got a massive backlog to type up including my experiments with chocolate chip muffins (I've got some pretty great ones), my adventures with my now award-winning brownie pie, and my new take on apple-rhubarb pie.
Anyways, here are some cookies I just made. I was shooting for biscotti but I very cleverly failed entirely and ended up with cookie squares instead. Whatever, it's been a while (years) since I last made biscotti. These squares are pretty delicious anyways. Quick and dirty type-up because I've got to go prove some things about graphs and things.

the stuffs:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup espresso
  • 1 egg
  • 1 3/4 cups white flour
  • 1 1/4 cup barley flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • zest of one orange
  • chocolate chips


  • Beat that butter and sugar together. If you start with milk fat and sugar you can't really go wrong. McDonalds figured this out, which is why their burgers are equal parts ground beef product and refined corn syrup extract, deep fried in butter. If you've got your fat and your sweet you're good to go.
    OK, now throw in the egg and the coffee. Mix it up some more. Zest the orange into that and mix it up some more some more. Then pre-mix your flours and your baking powder and then throw that in with the wet stuff, dump in some chocolate chips, and mix it up a some more some more some more.
    I refuse to measure chocolate chips. Just add a bunch. If you lack the capacity to understand chocolate chips and how awesome they are, just, you know, add a cup or two I guess?
    Spread the dough out on a greased pan, bake in your oven at 350ยบ for between 20-30 minutes, depending on if you prefer gooey or firm.
    I rolled it all up and put it on the middle of a pan, but this dough did not have nearly enough ability to keep itself together under heat, and just kind of spread out over the whole pan, so I got a very uneven bake, but hey, they're so good I don't care. I just needed study food and I got it.
    CAVEAT: I hodge-podged this together so I fudged some figures. I actually used a 'splash-dollop' of espresso, 1 1/3 cup white flour + a dump-full extra, and a splort-dash of baking powder. Also your cooking time may in fact be less. Mine took half an hour but it was not spread thinly or uniformly at any point of the process, so, rotate your pan at ten minutes and check it at fifteen minutes to be sure, OK?

    More to come! Within a week! For Reals! I'll bake muffins this weekend to pay off debts and feed friends, and I'll post that recipe.

    No comments: