Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oh god what have I done cookies

I wanted to bake something to deal with my rampant uncertainty in life, so I decided to make cookies. I knew there were no eggs in the fridge since neither of us have been shopping since we got back in town, so I figured I'd just use some flax seed. Then I got in the kitchen and realized that there is no flax in the house. I was too far along in the process at that point to pull out, so I looked around for substitute ingredients. Yogurt was moldy. Nothing was in the house. Then I opened the last cupboard and saw the instant oatmeal.

-1 cup butter
-1 thingy oatmeal in half the ration of boiling water
Cream together once the oatmeal has cooled to just being 'warm'.

1 cup cocoa
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rye
1/2 cup white bread flour
Mix above together with the buttermeal, until a cookie dough is formed. Shape into cookies and bake.



I have decided the above shall be called 'delightfully unpleasant cookies'. The inside is just just underdone, the lack of egg means they're a bit crumbly to the touch, and they are a world of bitter. Quite enjoyably so in fact.
Colin liked them with maple syrup, I think a drizzle of maple syrup plus a raspberry cream would go wonderfully. Whatever you do, though, do not pair them with grapefruit juice. That is an awful idea.

No comments: