Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pie Bread!

So now that I've acquired some measure of skill in both pies and bread, it is time to commence work on the unholy bastard spawn of both foods!

First attempt:
  • 1 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 tablespoon malt syrup
  • 3 teaspoons (heaping) of 'dead' yeast
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • I proofed the yeast (which had been given to me by a fried who said it was possibly dead after not being properly refrigerated) with a half cup of the water and the malt, cut the shortening (which was slightly more than a cup) through the flour, added the rest of the fluid, and mixed until it was doughy/stretchy. That rose, then I rolled it out flat, poured on some thick smoothie like substance (some apples and strawberries, that had been sitting in a plastic tub in my fridge for a while and were promptly blended last night), and rolled it like what I assume a jelly roll would be like. This rose again in bread pan, and was then baked for about an hour.

    I really should have split the dough into two batches and made two loaves, but oh well. It didn't bake through because it was so dense and I didn't let it rise very long in the bread pan. However, I sliced the under done loaf this morning after it had sat/set overnight, then baked them again for curious results. Kind of a dense, slightly chewy fruity thing, which retained enough of the crumbly texture I was going for.

    Not a perfect success, but a good first step on my mad adventure. Would make excellent french toast.

    1 comment:

    Robyn said...

    Sounds interesting. Is it like a scone thing? I'm having trouble grasping the concept of pie bread.