Sunday, April 20, 2008

Banana Corn Rye

Alright, that's enough pie for now (that's a lie, I'm going to make more tomorrow), so here's some bread again. This is something I came up with not because I wanted vegans to have some tasty bread, but because I've spent enough time behind enemy lines that I know how to use their tricks to further my own dark ends.
Never assume your foe has nothing to teach you, for then your arrogance will surely defeat you!

Banana-corn-rye bread:

Need:
  • 1 1/2 cups rye flour
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  • 3 tablespoons oil
  • 3 tablespoons malt syrup
  • two bananas
  • 1/2 cup warm water

  • Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. That's it. Do a little dance or something. Anything, really, just so I have more than one instruction in this paragraph. Oh! Mound and make a little well in the dry stuff.


    Mix the syrup with the warm water, and mix till well dissolved. Add the oil, then mash and add the bananas. Mix the works together, then pour into the dry bowl, and mix just until moistened.



    Bake in your magically pre-heated to 350ºF oven for about half an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


    This resulted from re-working an already re-worked recipe for corn rye bread. I just swapped up an egg and a cup and a quarter of buttermilk for a cup of bananas and a half cup of water (standard vegan sub is a banana to two eggs). The water is warm only to make it easier to melt the malt.
    Regarding the malt, you can feel free to use molasses, honey, or just sugar if you feel like it. I'd go to about half the volume if I was using straight sugar, though.
    This is a pretty delicious breakfast bread which I've made a few times now.


    P.S. I think next time I'll take it down to just a banana and a half, for flavour reasons. I think the water level won't go up, though.
    Also, I'll use a finer corn meal to try and better get that taste out there.

    No comments: