Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Marzipan" Muffins

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this weird thing the bulk barn has that's labeled 'almond paste', which appears to be some sort of cheap approximation to marzipan. It is yellower than marzipan, it handles a little stickier, and I think they might of even slipped some vanilla in there to make up for its deficiencies in the almond department. Anyways, it's about a bajillion times cheaper than actual marzipan and given my love of marzipan yet limited budget, I like to pick some of the stuff up when it's on sale (which is always, for some strange reason).
I'm almost out of muffins again, so it's muffin time again (again!). I think I might be going a little nuts on muffins, this'll probably be the last time for a while that I make them. Basically I'm just doing chocolate chip muffins plus chopped up almond paste, with honey for to go with the almond with. OK that last sentence had something weird going on but I like the way it sounds if I say it, so redundant words remain.muffinzipan
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • dash salt
  • shake of baking powder (look I don't measure it that would dirty a spoon come on now)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped "almond paste"
  • I started by setting the oven to 350ºF and using the heat from the oven exhaust to melt the butter, then I combined the flour, wheat germ, salt, and baking powder. The almond paste was chopped up to bits about the size of the chocolate chips and then added, with the chocolate chips, to the flour bowl.
    The butter was melted by now, so that hit the milk and the honey and the vanilla, got mixed, and then the eggs joined the party and got beaten up.
    Everybody together now! Mix just until combined! Put it in a muffin tin, let it go, 18 minutes hey-ho!

    They came out pretty tasty, but way too sweet for my everyday breakfast muffins. That almond paste stuff is pretty sweet. They are too heavy to be cupcakes, but they seem pretty cupcakey, what with the vanilla, the almond, and the sweetness. Perhaps the honey could be halved next time. ALSO! If I do this again, I will use little paper cupcake liners, because the almondzipaste baked and bubbled and gummed everything up pretty good.
    Not what was I going for, I guess I'll have eggs for breakfast tomorrow or something. Still pretty tasty!
    I guess the room for pondering here would be in what flour variations would work. I think barley could work but I always think barley could work. The only non-wheats I have on hand right now are rye and buckwheat, though, which I don't think would work.

    No comments: